- Core (History, Language Arts, Bible): Sonlight Core A - I absolutely fell in love with this package when I saw it at a homeschool convention. Last year we used Heart of Dakota, and it was okay; however, my kids didn't like the reading selections. We really enjoyed their Bible and History, but we were ready for a change.We also purchased Sonlight's kindergarten and second grade readers/language arts.
- Science: Sonlight A. Luckily, we found this on ebay in like-new condition. I'm also pretty excited about this (it came with several books and a DVD). Last year we used Apologia. I think Apologia would work well for older kids, but it didn't work well for my kids. It was a big text book that in my opinion wasn't reader-friendly for younger children.
- Math: Staying with Math-U-See. Little Lou will do Primer, X-Man will do Beta. LOVE MUS. The only issue I have is that there are 30 lessons and our school year is 36 weeks. Small issue, but I thought it was worth noting.
- Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears kindergarten and first grade. Last year X-Man's handwriting improved VASTLY with the help of this program. We really liked it, so we'll use it again this year.
- Health: Alpha and Omega, Horizons Health 1. This year we added a health program. It looks like it covers quite a bit of info, but only on the surface level. There's 50 lessons, but they appear to be pretty simple, almost an introduction.
- Additional: We also purchased a PE book, some art appreciation books, and some classical music CDs. Due to X-Man's fine motor delays, we also purchased a few activities that should help him (Little Lou is VERY interested as well!).
Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Just in case anyone was wondering, I wanted to share out curriculum choices for this year.
Monday, July 15, 2013
Recently God has really put it on my heart to pray (incessantly) for my children. For as long as I can remember, before I go to bed, I check on each child, give them a kiss, and say a quick prayer over them. I've always prayed that they would love Jesus and that they would lead lives that are pleasing to Him, but as time has gone on, I've added quite a bit to my prayer list. I'm no expert parent, but I wanted to share what I pray in case any of my (three) readers needed some ideas for their children.
- As I stated before, I pray that they love Jesus. I pray that they feel His presence in their lives, and that they see Him in every facet of life.
- Purity. I pray that they lead God-honoring lives. I pray that they are not corrupted by this world, and that they choose to wait. I pray that they learn things 'the easy way' and not feel the need to try things that aren't beneficial to their future.
- Compassion. I pray that they want to help others. I pray that they put others needs before their own wants. I pray that they don't ask for things in return. I pray that they see the good in people.
- Thankfulness. I pray that they see the blessings they have, and that they are grateful for them. I pray that they never be selfish.
- Joy. I pray that they find beauty in everyday. I pray that they have wonderful memories and that they chose to live each day to the fullest.
- Love. I pray that they feel truly loved, and that they love with their whole-hearts. I pray that they speak the truth in love, never in judgement.
- Purposeful. I pray that they feel needed and wanted. I pray that they see that they are important and that they matter. I pray that even if they mess up (which, everyone does), that they still feel valued. I pray that they feel freedom from perfection.
- Needs. I pray that their needs are always met. I pray that God will protect them.
- Their future spouses. I pray that their future spouses love God. I pray that they are compassionate, kind, and that they respect and love my children. I pray that as they grow, they make God-honoring decisions, and that they choose to wait for my children. I pray that they feel loved and welcomed into our family.
- I pray that Little Lou finds a husband that is a hard-worker, a Christian man, someone who treats her like a queen, and will be a gentle leader of their future family. I pray she respects and loves him with all her heart. I pray that she become a mother (if that's what she chooses) that is representative of God's love. I pray that they honor their commitment to each other.
- I pray that X-Man finds a wife that is a Christian woman who supports him, is respectful and loving, and becomes a mother (if they choose to have children) representative of God's love. I pray that he treats her like a queen with constant love and respect. I pray that he works hard to provide for his future family and that he be a wonderful, gentle, leader of his family. I pray that they honor their commitment with each other.
- Their relationship with each other. I pray that as they grow older, that X-Man and Little Lou remain friends. I pray that they stay close and that their spouses be supportive of that relationship.
- Our family unit. I pray that we always keep our focus on Christ. I pray that we are always loving toward each other. I pray that we can always communicate in love and honesty; and, when needed, that we choose mercy and forgiveness over grudges. I pray that we are always close and that we never feel as if we are a burden to one another. I pray that they know that they can come to us about ANYTHING and that we will always have unconditional love for them.
- I pray for my future grandchildren. That they have the wonderful qualities of their parents, and that they also choose Christ.