Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cast free is the way to be!

So, X-Man is cast free! We are so excited. He's been in casts since the middle of October, so we're so happy to have made it to this point.

We were able to get an Orthopedic office to take his casts off. I was so proud of X-Man, he didn't cry at all when he had his casts taken off; even the cast tech was impressed! He really did a great job. At one point, he did start to panic a little bit and started counting super-fast. The tech stopped for a minute and said, "it's alright, I'll give you a minute". I was really impressed with the tech, he was really good with X-Man and wanted to learn more about why we went to Iowa and X-Man's treatment (I love when I get the chance to educate people about the Ponseti method!). He even helped me figure out how to get X-Man's "magic shoes" on.

I can't wait to post photos of his new shoes - unfortunately, we seem to have miss-placed our camera. I have a feeling that a certain little girl hid it somewhere... She's lucky she's cute.

When we got home from his doctor appointment, he was so excited to take a bath in the bathroom (we've been doing waterless baths and sponge baths in the living room). His skin is so dry and his legs and feet are really sensitive. I can tell that his knees are sensitive to extension too (probably from being bent for so long!). He tried to stand up, but his legs were unable to hold him up. I'm sure this is temporary, but I think it scared him. Luckily, he has figured out how to crawl with his brace.

His feet look so much better than they did in October; when our camera is found, we'll post comparison photos - you'll be amazed.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I can't wait to see the after pictures!

    Yes, they will have weakness after being casted. Not sure if age makes a difference but we were told for every week in a cast, expect a week of recovery. That is what we were told, not what we experienced. After 7 weeks of casting,Matthew was walking pretty good as soon as 12 days later. So expect some weakness, but it will vary how long it lasts.

    As for his skin, it is hard, but try to keep him from scratching it too hard for a few days. It gets better pretty quickly.

    Bet that bath felt good for him...and for you! I hate bathing with casts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments - it's so great to hear from someone who's been though the same thing!

    ReplyDelete