Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homeschool Curriculum and Life

Hi Friends,

So let me tell you, I am LOVING life right now.  I've been unemployed for a little over a month, and so far it has been wonderful.  I've been able to spend the days doing whatever the kids want (pool, zoo, museum, etc) and, I'm sleeping during normal-people sleep hours!  It's great.  I feel refreshed and energized, which has provided me with time to focus on our next adventure: homeschooling.  We've received all of our curriculum selections and almost have our classroom in order (photos will be on my next post).  For now, I wanted to share with you what our curriculum choices are for this year.

The core of our curriculum is from Heart of Dakota (Little Hearts for His Glory).  It includes:
  • History For Little Pilgrims
  • History Stories For Children
  • The Reading Lesson (I have a feeling we'll get through this in no time as X-Man has been reading since before his fourth birthday)
  • Thinking Skills - Grade 1
  • Family Time Bible
  • Devotions for the Children's Hour
  • Hide 'Em In Your HeartU Vol 1 CD
  • Several Burgess reading books
For Science, we chose Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy (this was his choice).
For Math we chose Math-U-See - Alpha.
For Writing we'll be using Handwriting Without Tears Kindergarten.
Art - Art with a Purpose (this was given to us by a homeschooling friend) - also may be supplementing with some additional books including Drawing with Children.
Music - we'll be learning how to play the recorder and also will be borrowing classical music CDs from our library.
For Spelling, I found a couple of grade 1 workbooks for him to do - he LOVES workbooks!
I will also be using several poetry books, fairy tales, and novels to supplement reading.

We're getting pretty excited - here's a picture of him on our first 'box-day' - he can't wait for school to start!


Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment